Kristin Rizzo is an award-winning attorney and owner of Rizzo Law, PC. Kristin is experienced, knowledgeable and committed to advocating on behalf of employees and consumers. She is passionate, creative, and dedicated to achieving results for her clients. Since opening her law practice, Kristin has obtained millions of dollars in awards and settlements on behalf of her clients.
Kristin’s practice is devoted to the representation of employees in a wide range of employment matters, including sexual harassment, gender harassment, racial discrimination, disability discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, age discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, wage and hour disputes (including misclassification, failure to pay overtime, meal and rest break violations) and breach of contract claims. Kristin also counsels employees on strategic planning and positioning regarding employment agreements, leaves of absence, and separation and severance agreements. In addition to employment matters, Kristin handles a variety of complex litigation matters, including assisting clients at the advisory stage through litigation of matters via alternative dispute resolution and trial.
- California Super Lawyers, Top Attorneys in San Diego, Rising Star Award, 2015
- San Diego Daily Transcript’s Top Attorney Award for Employment Law,2013
- Red Boudreau Trial Lawyers’ Dinner, Judge David R. Thompson New Lawyer Award, 2012
- USD’s Distinguished Recent Alumni Rising Star Award, 2011
- San Diego Daily Journal’s Top Young Attorney Award, 2009, 2011
- San Diego Daily Journal’s Judge for the Top Young Attorney Award, 2010
- SDCBA’s Bar Stars Award, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Wiley Manuel Award for Pro Bono Service, 2005
University of San Diego, School of Law – J.D., 2006
- Judicial Extern, Federal District Court, Magistrate Judge Nita L. Stormes, Southern District
- Law Clerk, Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District, San Diego, California
- Appellate Moot Court Executive Board, Vice Chair and National Team Competitor at Vanderbilt University
University of California, San Diego – B.A., Political Science International Relations, B.A., Spanish Literature, 2001
- Honors: Cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Complutense Universidad de Madrid, Academic Education Abroad, 1999 to 2000
- A San Diego native, Kristin attended La Jolla High School. She is proficient in written and spoken Spanish.
- Licensed to Practice Law by the California Supreme Court, 2006
- Licensed to Practice Law by the United States District Court of Southern California, 2006
- Graduate, National Conflict Resolution Center (NCRC), Introductory Mediation Skills, 2012
In addition to running a successful law practice, Kristin is a Bar leader and an active participant in the legal community. Kristin is currently serving a 3-year term on the San Diego County Bar Association’s Board of Director, where she is the current Treasurer of the organization, sits on the Executive Committee, is the Chair of the Finance and Real Property Committees, and Co-Chair of the Council on the Integration of New Lawyers. As a first-year Director, Kristin served as Co-Chair of the Section and Committee Council. Prior to joining the Board of Directors, Kristin served as Co-Chair of the Labor and Employment Section of the San Diego County Bar Association. In addition, Kristin is currently serving as a Director of the University of San Diego, School of Law, Law Alumni Board of Directors, where she sits on the Executive Committee.
In the past, Kristin has served as a Director on the Board of Directors for the SDCBA and the SDCBA’s New Lawyer Division. As a Director, Kristin chaired the Continuing Legal Education Committee where she developed the “Civil Litigation 101″ 6-part series, a program which still runs. In 2010, Kristin was elected as President to the Division where she also held a Director position on the Board of the San Diego County Bar Association. As President, she created the New Lawyer Division “Mentoring Circles” program. During 2011, Kristin served on the Red Boudreau Advisory Committee, where she worked to develop the “Judge David R. Thompson New Lawyer Award” recognizing a new attorney for their significant service to the administration of justice.
Since becoming a member of the San Diego legal community, Kristin has demonstrated a commitment to mentoring and developing programming to assist newer attorneys practice law successfully, and with civility, integrity and professionalism. She is an Adjunct Professor at her alma mater, the University of San Diego, School of Law, and has taught a lecture for the Civil Practicum class since 2011 on “The Real Life of Lawyers,”. She also donates her time mentoring law students through the Alumni Interactive Program at USD, and speaking at law student programs for all three law schools in San Diego. In addition, she is a frequent volunteer judge for law school moot court competitions.
- San Diego County Bar Association: Member, 2006 – present; Board of Directors, Treasurer and Chair of Finance Committee, 2015, Co-Chair of Council for Integration of New Lawyers, 2015, Co-Chair of Section and Committee Council, 2014, Co-Chair of the Labor and Employment Section, 2012 – present; Board of Directors, New Lawyer Division (NLD) Liason, 2010; NLD, President, 2010; NLD Board of Directors, 2007 – 2011
- California Bar Association: Member; Civil Litigation and Labor & Employment Section Membership, 2006 – present
- American Bar Association: Member; Civil Litigation and Labor & Employment Section Membership, 2006 – present
- University of San Diego School of Law: Director, Law Alumni Association Board of Directors, 2012 – present
- American Inns of Court, William B. Enright Chapter, Barrister, 2006 – present
- Lawyers Club of San Diego: Member, 2006 – present; Committee Member, 2012 – present
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, 2006-2007, 2011 – present
- California Employment Lawyers Association, 2012 – present
- San Diego La Raza Lawyer’s Association, 2013 – present
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association, 2013 – present
- Mo’olelo Performing Arts Company: Board of Trustees, 2011-2012
- Speaker, California Public Law Library: “‘You’re Fired!’ – Layoffs, Severance and Unemployment,” 2013
- Speaker, Lawyers Club,Professional Advancement Committee Program: “Increase Your Visibility: How to Enhance Current Client Relationships & Build New Ones,” 2013
- Speaker, La Raza and Earl B. Gilliam Neighborhood Law Program: “Basics of Employment Law for Employees and Employers,” 2013
- Author, Networking: Don’t Just Do It – Do It Well. How to Network Your Way to Effective Relationship-Building,University of San Diego, School of Law Student Magazine, 2013
- Speaker, California Public Law Library: “A Guide to California Leave Laws – Understanding the FMLA, CFRA and PDL,” 2012
- Speaker, Earl B. Gilliam Neighborhood Law Program: “Basics of Employment Law for Employees and Employers,” 2012
- Key Note Speaker, University of San Diego, School of Law: Student Awards Luncheon, 2012
- Speaker, University of San Diego, School of Law: “Introduction to the San Diego County Bar Association,” 2010, 2011, 2012
- Lecturer, University of San Diego School of Law: Civil Practicum Course – “The Real Life of Lawyers,” 2011, 2012, 2013
- Author, Your Local Public Library: A Source for Affordable Legal Resources, New Lawyer Division’s “For the Record”, 2011
- Continuing Legal Education Lecturer, Higgs, Fletcher & Mack: “Internet Marketing for Attorneys,” 2010
- Lecturer, Thomas Jefferson School of Law: “Community Resources for Law Students,” 2010
- Author & Creator, New Lawyer Division’s “For the Record”, Tips from the Bench/ Tips from the Pros, 2010-2011