Kristin Rizzo is an award-winning attorney and owner of Rizzo Law. Rizzo Law is a boutique employment law firm specializing in strategic representation of employees and employers, performance of workplace investigations and mediation of employment disputes.
Kristin represents individuals in litigation matters in the areas of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, failure to accommodate, contract, and wage and hour disputes. Kristin also provides specialized counsel to employees on employment contracts, severance and separation agreements, leaves of absence and positioning within companies. Kristin advises employers and companies on strategic planning and positioning, including employment agreements, policy manuals and handbooks, wage and hour issues, compliance, employee leaves, training, hiring and termination. Kristin handles independent workplace investigations, including conducting prompt, thorough and impartial fact-finding investigations, performing credibility assessments, identifying potential policy and legal violations, and providing suggestions for remedial measures.
Kristin is currently the President-Elect of the San Diego County Bar Association Board of Directors; she will serve as President of the Association in 2018.
- California Super Lawyers, Top Attorneys in San Diego, Rising Star Award (2015, 2016, 2017)
- San Diego Daily Transcript, Top Attorney Award for Employment Law (2013)
- Red Boudreau Trial Lawyers, Judge David R. Thompson New Lawyer Award (2012)
- USD’s Distinguished Recent Alumni, Rising Star Award (2011 – 1st awardee in award history)
- San Diego Daily Transcript, Top Young Attorney Award (2009, 2011)
- San Diego Daily Transcript, Judge for the Top Young Attorney Award (2010)
- San Diego County Bar Association, Bar Stars Award (2009, 2010, 2011)
- Wiley Manuel, Award for Pro Bono Service: Service to the YWCA and Casa Cornelia (2005)
University of San Diego, School of Law – J.D., 2006
- Judicial Extern, Federal District Court, Magistrate Judge Nita L. Stormes, Southern District
- Law Clerk, Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District, San Diego, California
- Appellate Moot Court Executive Board, Vice Chair and National Team Competitor at Vanderbilt University
University of California, San Diego – B.A., Political Science International Relations, B.A., Spanish Literature, 2001
- Honors: Cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Complutense Universidad de Madrid, Academic Education Abroad, 1999 to 2000
- A San Diego native, Kristin attended La Jolla High School. She is proficient in written and spoken Spanish.
- Licensed to Practice Law by the California Supreme Court, 2006
- Licensed to Practice Law by the United States District Court of Southern California, 2006
- Graduate, National Conflict Resolution Center (NCRC), Introductory Mediation Skills, 2012
- San Diego County Bar Association, Board of Directors’ President (2018); President-Elect (2017); Vice President (2016); Treasurer (2015); Director (2014); New Lawyer Division Board of Directors’ President (2010) and Director (2007 – 2011). Committee Leadership: Section & Committee Council Chair (2016); Finance – Ex-Officio Treasurer (2016); Finance Chair (2015); Real Property Chair (2015); CIEL Co-Chair (2015); Section & Committee Council Co-Chair (2014); Labor & Employment Section Co-Chair (2013).
- University of San Diego, Law Alumni Board of Directors (2012 – 2016); Executive Committee Member (2014 – 2016).
- American Inns of Court, William B. Enright Chapter (2008 – 2016); Team Leader (2014).
- Lawyers Club, Member (2005 – Present); Networking Outreach Committee (2012).
- Mo’olelo Performing Arts Company, Board of Trustees (2011- 2012).
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Association of Workplace Investigators
- California Employment Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court, William B. Enright Chapter, Barrister
- San Diego Inn of Court, Trial Program, Graduate
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association